The webinar, held on Friday, July 3th, 10:00 – 12:30,…
Donor: Green Climate Fund (GCF)
Main Partners: Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Water Management
To assist the Government of Serbia in increasing the capacities for addressing the country’s climate change vulnerabilities, through:
- advancing medium and long- term adaptation planning with a National Adaptation Plan (NAP),
- supporting improvements to the Nationally Determined Contribution (NDCs),
- enabling the Government of Serbia to build and strengthen capacities for mainstreaming climate change adaptation (CCA).
Serbia became a Party to the Paris Agreement in August 2017. Previously, Serbia submitted its Intended Nationally Determined Contribution (INDC) to the UNFCCC on June 15th, 2015. By ratifying the Paris Climate Agreement in July 2017, Serbia’s INDC became its NDC. CCA is also integral part of Serbia’ NDCs and will be particularly taken into account when considering the increase of the overall Country’s climate ambition.
National mandate and steering mechanism in place for long-term CCA
- Strengthening Legal and institutional framework and National Climate Change Committee (NCCC) mandate for climate change adaptation (CCA).
- Improving the understanding of the climate vulnerabilities and planning of CCA policies and measures;
- Strengthening the justification for CCA interventions and the decision-making;
- Completing Climate and CCA knowledge-base and inventory;
- Assessing and addressing immediate national and subnational CCA policy and institutional capacity gaps;
NAP implementation strategy developed
- Development of the NAP implementation strategy that aims to reinforce the foundations for long-term CCA planning process;
- Supporting long-term CCA capacity development to ensure sustainability of CCA competencies, policies and measures;
- Development of the National Climate Change Adaptation Plan and integration of the CCA into national and subnational planning processes;
- Supporting the CCA mainstreaming efforts with a communication and outreach strategy (COS) to sensitize policy makers and all stakeholders, including the general public and the private sector on the importance of climate
- Setting up of the process for mainstreaming the CCA primarily into agriculture & water, energy, transport, infrastructure.
- Strengthening of the national mandate, strategic framework and steering mechanism that focus on assessing and addressing the gaps.
- The development of the NAP, its implementation plan and monitoring and evaluation strategies.
RESULTS TO DATE
- Recruitment process finalized, project team established and operational as of January 2020.
- 25 representatives of stakeholders from the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Water Management, Ministry of Environmental Protection, Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Mining and Energy, and relevant public companies participated the Workshop on project goals and activities planned for 2020.
- A kick-off workshop organized in March 2020 to officially present the project to a wider group of stakeholders – more than 50 participants from relevant line ministries and other national institutions; first meeting of the project Working Group also organized at the same event. More information available here: https://www.klimatskepromene.rs/en/events/kick-off-meeting-of-the-project-advancing-medium-and-long-term-adaptation-planning-in-the-republic-of-serbia-was-held-together-with-the-first-working-group-meeting/