The ,,Climate Strategy and Action Plan” Project is funded by the European Union through the Instrument for Pre-Accession Assistance (IPA funds). It will prepare a national cross-sectoral Climate Change Strategy and Action Plan. This will be coordinated by the Ministry of Environmental Protection. The Strategy will establish both a strategic and policy framework for climate action in Serbia in compliance with international obligations and pledges on greenhouse gas mitigation (Paris Agreement and EU accession).
The Paris Agreement, adopted under the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) in 2015, sets out a global action plan to keep global temperature rises well below 2°C. The Agreement has now been ratified and entered into force on 4 November 2016. In addition to this, the European Union (EU) adopted its 2030 climate and energy framework that includes greenhouse gas (GHG) reductions at least 40% by 2030 compared to 1990.
Prior to the Paris Agreement, Serbia made a pledge to reduce emissions by 9.8% by 2030 compared to 1990 and Law on ratification of the Agreement was adopted in May 2017. As a consequence Serbia needs to put in place emissions reduction policies that will help the implementation of the current pledge as well as enabling it to be strengthened in the future.
The Strategy will, to support this, identify priority emissions reduction measures, define the responsible institutions for specific options alongside timelines for implementation and overall financial resource requirements. A set of transparent scenarios will be prepared to explore different cost-effective approaches for Serbia. These scenarios will cover the key economic sectors identifying the years 2020, 2025, 2030 and 2050. The scenarios will be mindful of the emissions reduction trajectory out to 2070 to meet long term global temperature. The Strategy will also provide an adaptation policy framework that addresses the priority areas of agriculture, forestry and water management.
The Strategy will be created through active stakeholder participation, including governmental institutions, industries, local communities, and NGOs. It will contribute to both Serbia achieving its climate change objectives as well as benefiting the Serbian economy. The Strategy will give clear guidance for future investors (infrastructure and development) as well as creating conditions for increased industrial and commercial competitiveness.
Expected results of the Project are:
Result 1: Current Serbian Climate Change Policy framework assessed
- Analysis of relevant policies for mitigation and adaptation.
- Recommendations for improving policies.
- Identification of relevant institutions responsible for implementation of policies and assessment of inter-institutional cooperation framework.
- Recommendations for possible improvement of inter-institutional cooperation framework.
- Preparation of Report on the current Serbian Climate Change Policy framework.
Result 2: Greenhouse Gas Emissions Baseline Scenarios defined for 2020, 2030 and 2050
- Identification of the key sectors and greenhouse gases that will be used for the preparation of baseline scenarios.
- Identification of relevant data sources and data requirements for the proposed models.
- Identification of main drivers for baseline scenarios and their translation into model inputs.
- Identification of the main uncertainties in the drivers for the baseline scenarios and their translation into model inputs.
- Preparation of Report on GHG Emissions Baseline Scenarios.
Result 3: Greenhouse Gas Mitigation Scenarios defined for 2020, 2030 and 2050
- Preparation and analysis of GHG mitigation scenarios.
- Preparation of report on GHG mitigation scenarios.
Result 4: Economic, environmental and social impacts of Greenhouse Gas Mitigation Scenarios assessed for 2020, 2030 and 2050
- Identification of direct and indirect economic, social and environmental impacts.
- Preparation of report on impacts of Greenhouse Gas Mitigation Scenarios
Result 5: Climate change adaptation options assessed for 2030 and 2050
- Identification of most important adaptation measures for priority sectors.
- Assessment of compliance of proposed adaptation measures with policies.
- Preparation of report on adaptation options.
Result 6: Final Draft Climate Change Strategy with Action Plan prepared
- Preparation of report on preferred options for mitigation and adaptation.
- Preparation of the draft Cimate Change Strategy and Action plan
- Organization consultation with stakeholders
- Preparation of the final draft Climate Change Strategy and Action Plan.
For more information vision the website of the Climate Strategy and Action Plan.